Author Topic: "Don't call us.............we'll call you............"  (Read 1688 times)

Gen. Dreedle

• Commander, Alabama wing, Confederate Air Farce
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
"Don't call us.............we'll call you............"
« on: May 08, 2011, 02:45:27 AM »
OK, don't ask how I know this, but............someone I know was married to some crazy lady (from Denver), and this crazy lady's best friend was married to the guitar player for this band.

Anyway, they hated this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc1PHk9FhIk&feature=related

It was something some A&R guy at some record company made them do. This wasn't their style of music, but to make a buck, they sucked the corporate sausage.

Not sure about the time line, but..........

Some guy at CBS records slagged them, so they cut this ditty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4njPe2_rho

I think CBS previously turned them down, and once they had a hit (with a song they hated), I guess they figured they had nothing to lose, so they took a swipe at CBS.

The touch-tone really is the number, for that guy at CBS records. So I was told.........

(He wasn't amused!)

Revenge of the nerds.

Anyway, they faded into obscurity.

They should be grateful they had at least one decent song. Probably would have been zero, playing the crap they wanted to play. (No wonder no one wanted to call them!)

(Blue-eyed soul..........so I was led to believe.)
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Take him out and shoot him."
"Sir?"
"I said take him out and shoot him. Can't you hear?"

seagreen

• View Profile
Re: "Don't call us.............we'll call you............"
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 02:50:32 PM »
I'm sure due to General Cartman Lee's recommendation, Sugarloaf actually had some airplay today.  I heard an entirely different song than the two mentioned by GCL.  Know what?  It was pretty good.  I even ordered the CD when I got home.  (Vinyl 45's were available, but, well, I don't have any of those little yellow squeezy things...  Time to look into that.)

The name of the song was Tongue in Cheek, which was probably illegal in half the United States when the song was recorded. 

This happened to be followed by a religious recording by I. Ron Butterfly. 

The groups were not similar.
No double blind testing was used in the making of this post.