Author Topic: They still don't get it.  (Read 2861 times)

Gen. Dreedle

• Commander, Alabama wing, Confederate Air Farce
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
They still don't get it.
« on: July 12, 2011, 03:00:41 PM »
Looks like some folks need a reminder. Or primer. Or both. So, here goes.

Some folks like to build amps, with nested feedback loops, and tons of feedback. And all sorts of compensation techniques. There are folks who like to build amps with a single MOSFET, running amps of quiescent current, and a damn light bulb, as a load resistor.

Why? I dunno. I don't care. I build amps a different way. The only criteria are:

1.) I like the way it sounds.
2.) It has to not blow up.
3.) Has to be made of parts I have, or can get my hands on.
4.) As I get older, I am less inclined to make something that heats up the whole damn house. If I want to roast, I live in Texas, so I need no help in that area.

The problem is there are folks, on both extremes, that are convinced their way is the only way. They mock the other extreme. One demands measurements. And ABX/DBT tests. And a bunch of other damn-near impossible criteria. The other side talks about how their stuff sounds better, and a distortion analyzer never bought an amp.

Both sides seem to miss the whole point: if you like it, that is all that matters. Your time, your effort, your money, your happiness, or lack thereof. Yet, they constantly go at it, trying to convince the other side they have the only track to Heaven. (It sounds a lot like the crap I heard, as a kid. Most of the family was Catholic, and some weren't. Each was convinced the other side was doomed to eternal damnation, because they weren't on their side. At least one had to be wrong.) (Probably both were wrong, but that is a different story for a different time.)

The difference here is both sides are right, and wrong, at the same time. If you like the results, then that is all that matters. The other side is no more likely to come around to your side than you are to theirs. So, what is the argument all about? Why do some of you guys demand so much proof that the other guy is enjoying themselves. How could you even prove it? A DBT? If I say I like root beer, and you like rotted grape juice, how can either of us prove the other guy is full of crap? Why is audio any different?

It is one thing, to say "How do you know you wouldn't like this fine example of an expensive wine? You might, if only someone pointed out its subtle nuances. Here, let me pour you a glass, and show you what you are missing. No? Well, maybe we should start a bit lower, and work your way up. It does take time, you know."

No, instead we are treated to "You are too uncouth to ever understand. Probably because you are from inferior stock. Rather than try to help you understand the elegance of the subtleties, we will just remind you how inferior you are. And always will be."

Not that the other side is that much better. They don't understand why someone can appreciate fine subtleties, of fine wine, why they can not grasp the subtle nuances of so-called high-end audio. Or at least acknowledge they might exist.

Then there is everyone else. We want something that measures well, sounds good, and are willing to accept there may be something better, but we are happy. But, the most important thing is that we are happy with the results. Some of us are open, to new ideas. Sometimes we try, them, sometimes not. Sometimes we like the results, sometimes not. We participate to exchange ideas, and maybe learn something new. Some of us may have a lot of design experience, sometimes we are noobs. Somehow, we get along. At least until one of the warring camps shows up, and proceeds to tell all of us how stupid we are.

Ok, I can hear the peanut gallery................

"You do the same thing."

Well, if you think so, your perception is reality, and I know I will not change it. But, for the rest of you, that is not the case. The case is "Hey, I tried this, and it seemed to work. It measured better. (Not that always matters, or is correct.) Sounded better. At least to me. Try it.............you might like it."

No, instead..................one side:

"I don't understand it. It can't work, because I don't understand it. You are a liar and a fraud."

No, you are just in, over your head, and are too proud, or stubborn, to admit such. Just because you don't understand it...............

(There is lots of stuff I don't understand. Yet, it exists and works. Gee, I wonder how?)

Then the other side:

"Well, I designed stuff like this all my life, and I never measured anything like this. You are full of crap, and are deliberately misleading people."

No. Either you weren't looking for the same thing, or you were looking for it, the wrong way. With the wrong stuff. Just because you haven't found the same thing doesn't mean it doesn't exist. (Also could mean you aren't as smart as you think you are.) (Wait.........that means you are as dumb as I am! How does it feel? I'm used to it.)

So, in retaliation, rather than argue..............we turn to...........to............

Sarcasm.

Just like the Piranha Brothers!

"Dinsdale................................Dinsdale...................."

"Dinsdale?"

Oh, one last thing.............

If you think I am talking about you, then I am! (You know who you are. So do we!)

Happy listening.

(Assumes you ever do listen. In between arguing. In your spare time, of course.)

(Remember, it all sounds the same, so why argue, in the first place?)
(Hey, wait............if it all sounds the same, then why the hell are you even wasting your time building any of this crap. Your time could be better spent............oh, I dunno.............arguing!)
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Take him out and shoot him."
"Sir?"
"I said take him out and shoot him. Can't you hear?"

seagreen

• View Profile
Re: They still don't get it.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 08:58:42 PM »
Every morning I can barely venture out of bed, since I don't really understand how gravity works.  I can describe its effects pretty well, but I can't explain it. 

To date, no luck in researching this, either.

So, I fret that I'll just float up through the hallway and bang my head on the lamp at the top of the stairwell.

Anybody else with this problem?
No double blind testing was used in the making of this post.

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 06:24:37 PM »
The only problem I seem to have is trying to understand why certain people read this crap, first thing, every morning.

Yep..........I can see who looks at what, and when. Sometimes, I can tell who they are. Sometimes, they are folks, somewhere in Europe, in places I never heard of. Which means their identity (and motive) is a total mystery.

So, while we make intensely dislike each other, we have this bizarre symbiotic relationship. I thank them, for their patronage. And, for helping to prove my point. (See "It's Working!")

Well, I do have this other problem...................serious lack of monetary reserves, but that is another story. And not anyone's bidnis.

"My dreams are all dead and buried.
Sometimes I wish the internets would all just 'splode.
When the debt collector comes a-callin' on mah propertah
I'll take all them sonsabitches with me when I go."
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

MystereoN

• The Brave die once, a coward dies a thousand times
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 12:23:27 AM »
Strange folk... from strange places... like those two on the left? They look familiar, but who are they?   ;)
On the right is our Favorite singer with big nose.

;D
Never argue with a fool,
they will drag you down to their level,
then beat you with their experience!!!

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 04:16:02 AM »
Never would have guessed the guy on the right.............especially since we have no idea who he is..........even after watching his video!

The other 2..............c'mon, give us something hard!

(Better not say "give me something hard", an a site that has "homo" in the title................I can see now who Google will drag in here.)

(Oy.........another word that should not go with "homo".)

(I can see the search results now....................better stop while I am ahead.)

(ARGH! Head...........)
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

MystereoN

• The Brave die once, a coward dies a thousand times
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 08:21:36 AM »
This photoshop'ed picture is circling around net and it is joke at Ekrem's expense  ;D
Originally named as "3 legends"  ;D

Those strange people from strange places, are they from the same country as me?

(hope they are not)
Never argue with a fool,
they will drag you down to their level,
then beat you with their experience!!!