Author Topic: Probably none of our business.............  (Read 37765 times)

Gen. Dreedle

• Commander, Alabama wing, Confederate Air Farce
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Probably none of our business.............
« on: June 14, 2010, 02:49:08 PM »
But it has that Keystone Kops look about it:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/168548-spdif-balanced-output-2.html#post2216611

The same buffoons, asking the same questions, and getting the same answers, they will never comprehend.

It's magic!

Jocko
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Take him out and shoot him."
"Sir?"
"I said take him out and shoot him. Can't you hear?"

seagreen

• View Profile
Re: Probably none of our business.............
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 06:08:25 PM »
You have made my head hurt.
No double blind testing was used in the making of this post.

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 10:15:34 AM »
This will make it hurt even more!

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/168648-about-jitter-help-math-guy.html#post2217419

Looks like he is trying to say he has a 11 MHz oscillator, that only has  2 femtoSec of jitter.

Or is it 20-something femtoSec. In any case...............Keystone Kop alert! All it needs now is for one of 2 complete idiots to chime in, and make it more confusing.

Then, your head will really hurt.

Jocko
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

seagreen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 01:35:05 PM »
<sigh>

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Even more none of our business.............!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 06:50:01 PM »
Won't say who tipped me off (you will notice I never do), but the gang at The Pub are at it........

Again!

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/121861-homebrew-digital-sampling-audio-spectrum-analyser-14.html#post2209018

Post #154 is most entertaining. If I didn't know better, I would think they are talking about me.

I gotta try harder to annoy some people. Starting with some git in Ireland.

Jocko
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

seagreen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 06:30:52 AM »
Wow.

Revolution and insurrection across the globe.

I don't like seeing our friend from Nova Scotia getting threatened, though.

seagreen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 06:35:28 AM »
BTW...  Did you observe the interesting trend that is hinted at in that thread?

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 10:47:53 AM »
Even more brilliance, at The Pub!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes they are sold to cut down signal levels - but not to cut down reflections; this is a physical impossibility. Reflections do not depend on signal levels, only on impedance levels. Make sure you terminate properly and there are NO reflections.

I very much doubt that the engineers responsible for designing these devices are failing to terminate them correctly. They certainly know more about engineering them than the average audio buff. It's simply a matter of arranging for the receiving end to have a resistance of 75 ohms. Hardly rocket science is it? It's also the way to correct the situation if there is a problem, not add attenuation to the interface at whatever point.

You can measure this at the receiving end with a DMM. It'll have to be very low for there to be a problem, and it won't be if the receiver is working at all. If it's too high, just add a parallel resistor to bring it down to 75R.

A friggin' DVM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This bozo gives us great insight to his experience level:

Originally Posted by jkeny
Ah, it's not this simple now! The zout of the SPDIF driver needs to be taken into account when designing the SPDIF output stage , including SPDIF transformer - this isn't simply a case of putting a 75ohm resistor in. The 75ohm impedance required of the circuit is not a static resistance measurable with a DMM!

Again, you are way off about measuring this with a DMM!

This is simply not true. I have experience of the design of RF circuits up to 2.4GHz.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

He does? How the 'eff does any of it work???

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

More of his "wisdom"

Just $12 down the drain...

And.............

Yes. You're mistaken in what you hear.

We had to go to considerable lengths with very fast rise times, a very expensive oscilloscope and long, long cables for a university lab demonstration of reflection in digital systems, so I don't believe you've got plots. Not in an SPDIF system.

Gee, I can see it with a typical transport, and Tek 465. What planet is this moron from?

Oh, the UK.........'splains everything!

Cross-posting makes everything better................just like putting Blue Velvet on it.

(I bet when you were a kid, you sang that with "Blue Vomit on it!" Didn't you? Yeah, c'mon.............you all did.)

Jocko, King of the Morons.
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

seagreen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 04:56:49 PM »
In the summer between freshman & sophomore years in college, my room mate called me up in a panic one night.  The guy was distraught, which wasn't like him at all.  He lived about an hour from my family, so we arranged to meet at a hamburger joint.

Like me, he had a summer job that was one of those en-ga-near-ing things.  I'll leave the name of his employer out, mostly because it's so scary.

In the first three weeks of being at this, he had become totally freaked out.  After he managed to cover himself in ketchup at the burger place, he finally settled down enough to tell me why.  It seems he'd watched all that went on in the engineering department and in manufacturing.  The good news was that the people who ran the manufacturing machines knew their jobs.  The bad news was that the rest - meaning engineering and management - were barely competent enough to take a leak on their own.  (That's not fair, is it?  My friend never went into the ladies room to check on them.)  He estimated that less than 2% really knew what was going on.  The rest? 

This was an observation made by a kid who'd just gotten through his first year of engineering school.

The whole thing bothered him a lot.  He concluded that roughly 2% of the population had a clue and they were the ones who made everything work.  That seemed impossible to him, so he decided that the only way the world could function was through divine intervention.  So he started going to mass every day.

The above is 100% true.  The only part, aside from the ladies room thing, that may be in doubt is that I can't remember whether the place we went to was a hot dog place that served hamburgers or a hamburger place that served hot dogs.

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
More 98%ers............
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 06:26:57 PM »
Back when I worked at the big telecom company, we had a Sr VP of Engineering that was a lot like me. Short, mean, short-tempered, dictatorial, and well, no tolerance for BS. I liked him: everyone else was terrified of him.

I was watching Faux News the other day. (Who could imagine I would watch Faux News?) They were down in AZ, talking about the illegal criminal problem. They showed the Marine test range, down by Yuma.

Well...............

We put in a 2 GHz shot, for the range. We took an ITT radio, that was built for the railroad (low) 2 GHz band. We had to tune it for the Common Carrier (high) 2 GHz band. I was out, on medical leave, when the conversion was made. Not sure how the guys in charge did it, but they managed to chop off bits of the interdigital filters and matching networks, to get the damn thing to work. (It had problems, and by the time I figured out what was wrong, we had plans to put a MaComm radio in its place. Which is another story, for another time. It was a POC, of the highest order.)

Anyway, something came across my desk, one day. Something about R&D tax credits. We were supposed to show how much time we had spent on various "R&D projects", so we could get a tax break.

One of the projects......................."Unsuccessful attempt to modify ITT radio at Yuma."

Unsuccessful??? Hell, the damn thing was paying everyone's salary. OK, it had some problems, and I had just figured out what was wrong. (When they changed from low band, to high band, no one figured out some IF components worked on a different sideband. No one read the part of the service manual where it showed you had to reverse the polarity of the phase detector in the AFC module. No wonder it wouldn't stay on frequency!) So, I read through the rest of this thing, and realized it was not only wrong about that, but had lots of typos and grammatical and punctuation errors.

Hmmm.........no way this came from the Sr VP's office. He was a stickler for detail. But, it had his name attached. Not his signature, just name. And no mention of where to send it back to.

OK............I was not afraid of the "White Tornado", as he was called. So, I called him up, and asked what he wanted me to do with it.

He had no idea what I was talking about.

"Well, I had my doubts it came from your office. Too many typos, and get this..............'unsuccessful attempt at modifying ITT radio at Yuma.' I have parts for it, that I am fixing, in my hands."

Anyway, the boss didn't seem to care what I did with it, although I suspect he was intrigued when I suggested he look into who was sending out crap, under his name. Especially when he had no knowledge of it.

Did some digging............found the guy who wrote. Called him up. (He was in DC, with all the bigwigs.)

Started in by reaming him out for the Yuma gaff.

"Unsuccessful? Who told you it was unsuccessful? It is paying your salary, at this very moment. I know, because I am the guy who fixes all the parts. On top of that, there is no way this came out of ___ _______'s office, as he would not send out something with all these typos out. To say nothing of something that stupid. Not only that, but you didn't say where to return it to."
"Well, return it to me, of course."
"But I am down here in Texas. I don't know who you are. You better hope ___ _______ doesn't, because I just got off of the phone with him. And I don't think he was amused by all the screw-ups I pointed out."

The far end went silent. I think there was a "brown note", that was silent.

No idea what ever happened to him, but he deserved it, I am sure.

Jocko
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

tommy_t

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 07:00:07 PM »
Cross-posting makes everything better................just like putting Blue Velvet on it.

(I bet when you were a kid, you sang that with "Blue Vomit on it!" Didn't you? Yeah, c'mon.............you all did.)

Blue Bonnet margareeeeen, not Blue Velvet ;D.  And yes, we did say "Blue Vomit"!  Amazing how some of these universal phrases come up.

A relative of mine used to work for the highway department of a state government, and he once described to me a co-worker whose favorite saying was, "They pretend to pay me, and I pretend to work!".

Many years later, I was speaking to a co-worker, a brilliant Ph.D from Russia who used to work in academia over there.  When he mentioned that he worked at a university, I said, "That must have been fun".  Turned out he didn't like it at all.  Then he told me that one of his friends who also worked there used to always say, "They pretend to pay me, and I pretend to work!".  I started laughing like crazy, remembering the story of the guy who worked with my relative in the highway department.

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 07:41:27 PM »
Well, when you hang out with depraved weirdos, like Phred, and he laments about the passing of Dennis Hopper, you can see why I had Blue Velvet on my mind.

Yeah, knew it didn't sound right. Blue bonnet........rhymes with vomit..........should have known.

Senior citizen moment.

The comedy at The Pub continues. We now have IM thrown into the discussion. More bloviating that all you need is a DVM.

I would fire that moron, on the spot, if he worked for me, and I read that crap. I especially like the way his sig spells "moron".

He should know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Takes one to know one."
"I'm rubber, and you're glue. Everything you say to me bounces off and sticks to you."

Jocko
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

seagreen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 06:15:54 AM »
With the obvious exception of this august establishment, I've not posted a single message on any forum web since the beginning of this calendar year.  I find that I don't feel any loss.  I also have observed that nobody even noticed.  A perfect match.  (See?  Attenuation really does affect the match...)

So, now I'm going to stop even reading most of the on line forums.  They've lost their value. 

Newbies, I understand fully.  In the end, they are getting screwed by the people they are seeking help from.

People who probably shouldn't be considered newbies, I don't understand.  But, I don't need to.

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 11:08:53 AM »
They are still at it. Expert/moderator thinks the clock at the DAC is independent, just because he stuck one in once, and it kinda sorta worked. RF expert still thinks everything is matched, and 2 ohm mismatch on cable makes it a bad cable. Guess he never measured any.

With his DVM...............oy vey.

Jocko
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 12:53:15 PM »
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/168901-rf-attenuators-jitter-reducers-18.html#post2229717

"Ask me a hard one."

OK.................

How  can you claim to be an RF engineer and be so friggin' stupid?

Give the man a life jacket. He is going to need it.

Jocko
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"