Author Topic: Phase II of "For all you clock 'experts'."  (Read 399 times)

Gen. Dreedle

• Commander, Alabama wing, Confederate Air Farce
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Phase II of "For all you clock 'experts'."
« on: September 11, 2016, 04:16:06 PM »
OK, found some plots...................

Morion MV89 (you know, what we use for a reference standard, in our gear), and a...............wait for it..................

11.2896 MHz SC-cut crystal. Bought it, years ago. Probably only cost $50, back then. (Still have some, but will cost you $250, if you want one. If, and only if, I need the money bad enough. Not sure that I do, for you schmucks.) (Oh, and the schematic is extra!) (The regulator isn't, because it has 5 legs, and costs under $1.)

Stuck around an '04 gate, and one for a buffer/squarer. (Both are the unbuffered variety of LVC. So much for AC logic. Idiots.)

And the best part...............

"It is third-overtone?"

Well, yes, of course, it is 3rd overtone. But, that is not it.

It works at room temperature. Without an oven.

"But, but...............won't it drift, since it is operating at the wrong point of the tempco curve?"

Of course, it is going to drift. So what? Big deal. Do you think it will be that much worse than a crappy AT-cut? Of course, the crappy AT-cut will have so much noise it won't matter. But, what do I know? I'm just an idiot. That makes measurements that no one can verify. (Again, not my fault all you experts didn't buy a decent phase noise rig, when they were affordable.)

So, here are the curves, of both of them, on top of each other.

Gee, they look pretty close................must be because my measurements are bogus, right?

Well, check this out................the Hadamard Deviation:

"General, just what is Hadamard Deviation, and why should we care? Are those 2 good? How good is good? How do you know what is good, and what isn't? Any significance as to what it measures at what time interval?"

Do you guys really expect me to tell you, for all the crap that you talk about me? That is, when you don't tuck  your tail and run away. Wimps.

Well, if you want the answers to all of that..........................send donations, or sod off!

I will say one thing.....................if you think an oven is that important............well, you can probably guess how, and how much, it would help that SC-cut.

If you can't (and you probably can't), yes, you are a fluke, of The Universe.

Give up.
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Take him out and shoot him."
"Sir?"
"I said take him out and shoot him. Can't you hear?"