Author Topic: Idiot alert!  (Read 1594 times)

Gen. Dreedle

• Commander, Alabama wing, Confederate Air Farce
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Idiot alert!
« on: March 15, 2014, 11:02:33 AM »
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/139222-pulse-transformers-spdif-aes-ebu-2.html#post3856260

That is what I like about DIYers.................they are all experts, when they are so far off the mark it is scary.

The rest of them are just as bad.

Yeah, try to design a decent SPDIF stage with a 20 MHz scope...............right...................

And while I am at it............

Yeah, the 1:1 SCs suck too. Their claim to fame is low interwinding capacitance. And supposedly high CMRR.

I guess that might be important, in a studio, where they are running signals in those Canare cables that carry 6 at time...............

In real life, no!

Look at it this way: you stick shield between the primary and the secondary. How are you going to get HF signals from the input to the output with that thing in the middle? Simple, you won't.  Maybe if you think all you need is 15 MHz, and in that case your 20 MHz scope is enough....................

Since SC is aimed at the AES/EBU world, which means studios (who we all know can't hear), then maybe it would be useful.
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Take him out and shoot him."
"Sir?"
"I said take him out and shoot him. Can't you hear?"

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Idiot alert!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 05:44:23 PM »
Wow...........some guy (from Sweden, of all places!) actually understands this stuff. Won't matter..................they still won't get it.
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 11:44:39 AM »
Another "expert" who doesn't get it:

A really long cable might help if the terminations are really bad - the cable attenuation will reduce the effect of reflections.

No.................the cable does not attenuate them! It just shifts them. Gee, this guy is a dumb as that pretend manufacturer, from the land of rotten potatoes.

How friggin' hard is this to comprehend? (Hope he doesn't take an old analog scope apart, and scratch his arse as to why there is a delay line inside.)

Rest of his post is here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/139222-pulse-transformers-spdif-aes-ebu-6.html#post3867605
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 11:47:06 AM »
Spoke too soon................his next reply is even more bassackwards. Good grief.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/139222-pulse-transformers-spdif-aes-ebu-6.html#post3868872
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

MystereoN

• The Brave die once, a coward dies a thousand times
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 04:25:16 AM »
I am out of there, it is not fun anymore. Already realized we are not speaking the same language, they simply don't get it.
The whole concept is not that hard to comprehend, even for someone like me, an average Joe. But they are experts, they know better, anything square is pure digital  ;D And simulation software is all you need  ;D
Never argue with a fool,
they will drag you down to their level,
then beat you with their experience!!!

seagreen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 06:01:14 PM »
I gave up a while back.  It's not even new zaniness - just stuck in the same old groove.

As someone said, "Audio is not supposed to be like a religion."  Like where concepts such as evolution are denied once the underlying physics are really examined closely.  Oh, wait...
No double blind testing was used in the making of this post.