Author Topic: The Bybee "Whatever they are" doo-hickies  (Read 2323 times)

Gen. Dreedle

• Commander, Alabama wing, Confederate Air Farce
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Bybee "Whatever they are" doo-hickies
« on: February 08, 2013, 12:02:08 PM »
OK, I am posting this here, knowing that somehow it will get back to our buddies, you-know-where. Eventually.

Before I start to ramble, let's assume (because it may be true) I know more about the effects of jitter than anyone else around here. (And by "here", I am not just talking about this obscure corner of the audio universe.) So, keep that in mind, and don't ask me to 'splain, because it is not going to happen.

Ok, my buddy (and I use that term very loosely), SY, states he has made every possible measurement, and has found no difference between them and a resistor from Digikey. He probably has, but just hasn't done it right.

OK, my gut feeling tells me if these things do anything (and I have no idea if they do, and don't care if they do or don't), that SY is not looking in the right place.

OK, bub.................you say you have measured noise floor. Sure, but how low? I know you have not gone low enough.

"How low is low enough?"

Below 0.1 Hz.

Yes, that is right, well below 1 Hz. You didn't, did you?

Of course not, because it is not easy. You would need to do it over a several hour time period. And then, it would need to be done several times, to get a reliable answer.

The Devil has given you the "1/f noise" clue enough times that it should be obvious. And since there is no Maxwell Demon, it can not tell signal (music) from noise. It has to work where there is no signal!

How many more clues do you need?

Run that test, and get back to us in a few weeks.

Just don't ask me to 'splain why I say it has to be below 0.1 Hz. I am not in the mood to hear the ridicule you guys will spew forth. You will not accept my "anecdotal evidence" gathered without proper DBTs.

I know what I know, and don't give a rat's rear end if you believe me or not. Just run the friggin' test, ok?

(Being the firm believer in DBTs, and statistically significant data, you should at least understand why you will have to run several tests, on the UUT and the placebo, for an extended period of time.)

Good luck. Not taking bets on whether or not they work, because I don't care. Just telling you that you have not really run every test. Or that you did it wrong.
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Take him out and shoot him."
"Sir?"
"I said take him out and shoot him. Can't you hear?"

Kryten

• Huh.
    • View Profile
I Think You Are Right Jocko...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 07:14:14 AM »
I have done a particular 'tweak' on the multicore and/or power feeds of heaps of major, mid and pub size concert systems.
On stadium systems the change takes several+ seconds to fully kick in, and several+ seconds to revert.
The subjective descriptions of the 'Bybee experience' closely match in with this subjective change.
The learned ear will pick a rock solid foundation/stability, lack of jitter, more power, more substance kind of sound, more real, more analog  ;)

.....and I even have the evidence embedded in the recording (available 20 mins after the show) of a DEVO live concert two months back....Hahahaha.

Is there anybody here who has actually A/B'd BQPs in any system ?.
Been fixing and listening to audio for waaay too long....

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The Bybee "Whatever they are" doo-hickies
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 08:21:17 PM »
Oh, dear..............I see nothing but troubles, ahead, for this guy:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/146693-john-curls-blowtorch-preamplifier-part-ii-3543.html#post3375907

Whoever he is....................
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

Kryten

• Huh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 08:30:23 PM »
Haha, it sounds sort of plausible to me.....low frequency modulation distortion, jitter, what's the subjective difference ?.

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 10:53:18 AM »
I never paid much mind, to what Mad Max said, as I concentrate on the main combatants. So, I went back, and perused his ramblings. Now it is all clear.

The dude is all over the map............ferrite snap-clamp doo-hickies (which we all know eventually sound like pooh..........if by "we all" you mean Charlie Hansen), and then he goes on about valve springs. Now it is clear: he can't hear, because he is a hot rodder.

Or, he could just be drunk, since he is in Oz.

Whatever.............opening the 1/f can of worms..............he is cruisin' for a bruisin'. Still, I like him. Being an ancient hot rodder, myself. And fellow malcontent troublemaker. (Faint praise, on my part, might be the kiss of death. Sorry, bub............whoever you are.)

"I don't know I was really drunk at the time..............."

(There is no dark side of the moon...........matter of fact..............it is all dark.)
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

Kryten

• Huh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 05:56:19 PM »
Haha, not all Aussies are drunk all of the time, just some of the time.....like when we are awake.....and Kiwis are worse.......there are so many Kiwis over here nowadays they are calling Aus 'The West Island'.

That Max can't be all wrong....I've tried those ferrite snap-ons and I agree they sound nasty....that french bloke stated he has them all over his system.....his ears must be well cooked by now.

Valve springs....I have tried them under a bass guitar amp a heap of times and that kept a truck load of vibration off the stage, and did improve the clarity/body of the bass sound quite markedly.....loose springs were impractical, maybe I should come up with a frame with them mounted permanently....could be the next killer muso accessory product.

1/f noise....the 'tweak' that I mentioned works on every system that I have tried them on....the worse the system the better the result.....points to imd (or something cumulative/multiplicative) reduction as far as I can tell.....could be 1/f noise change is the culprit, don't know for sure at this time......subjective descriptions of BQP closely match.....and like I said I have the subjective change embedded in a Devo live recording !.

It seems that BBQP's are so mysterious that only a few reviewers and a handful of owners have ever heard them....I am still trying to hunt down a user here in Perth so I can have a listen for myself....or I could just go buy some line level ones for $2000.....or speaker ones for $700....nah, not without listening first.