Author Topic: Do you hate "Tech Support" as much as I do?  (Read 2228 times)

Gen. Dreedle

• Commander, Alabama wing, Confederate Air Farce
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Do you hate "Tech Support" as much as I do?
« on: June 24, 2012, 11:06:33 AM »
Being almost broke, DSL is the only 'Net access I can afford. (Actually, I am lucky to have it, as "Gee...........no, GTE could not provide it until they put FiOS in my neighborhood. But, I digress, and may be getting ahead of the story.)

Anyway, the damn thing is always broken. So, I have to call, and talk to someone who knows less about any of that stuff than the average member over at The Pub.

So..........the other day...........someone called me up (yes, unlike Phred I do answer the phone.) They had something they wanted me to "check out", so I open my stupid browser, and check it out. Suddenly, there is a burst of white noise. That isn't a good sign. I can still talk...........oh, wait.............the DSL modem is sending out some tone burst. I assume trying to equalize the line. Which means......................yep, no 'Net access.

So, I call the idiots at "Gee, no GTE!" tech support. 'Splain what is wrong to the first idiot. This idiot decides someone else needs to handle it (probably because they do not understand what the hell I am complaining about), to which I have to 'slain it all over again.

No.............this person does not deal in high-speed access. (Like the first idiot was supposed to do.) They only deal in the POTS side of the house. So, transfer me back to someone in high-speed access support.

And I 'splain it again.

This person is more clueless than the previous 2 idiots. I get the usual litany of "Is your modem turned on..........are all the cables connected...........are you sure you didn't disconnect something..........."

NO, YOU MORON!!...........I was talking on the damn phone. Sure, I reached around, pulled on a bunch of wires, then scratched my backside, when it stopped working. Do they think we are as dumb as they are? (Probably.)

"Well, must be something wrong with the phone line. Are you able to talk on it?"

Didn't I just tell him I was talking on it, and I did not have a back-up phone number, as it is the ONLY phone I have? (I did..........trust me.)

So, I have to 'splain to him...........again...........what is wrong, how it breaks all the time................and how it mysteriously gets fixed, whenever I call to complain.

No........doesn't register. So, more screaming.

"Uh, let me run a line test...............

Uh............line seems to be ok."
(I know it is...........I am talking on it!)

Now, one part of the story I have glossed over is when the modem sends out those tone bursts, you can not talk on the phone. Well, you can. If you don't mind the crosstalk.

So, after boy wonder runs a line test, I turn the modem back on. Hear the tone burst............oh, wait.........short burst of white noise, then silence. I bet it is going to work now.................

Guess what.............it works. As usual.

Now, if I could just find out who does what at the CO (or wherever) that causes it to go out in the weeds, I would not have to waste an inordinate amount of time talking to idiots.

I guess I should not complain. Total time wasted was only around 15 minutes. Which is good, compared to an hour............which is not all that uncommon. Actually, those are doubly frustrating. Not only do I waste an hour, trying to 'splain the damn problem, but no one is able to solve it!

Last time that happened...............

Turned the modem back on, about 2 hours later. It worked.

About 2 hours later, I get a recorded message telling me that the problem has been solved. (Already knew that. Idiots.)

A few hours later, a technician shows up. Tell him it works, and he is not amused, or surprised, at the situation. He leaves.

A bit later..........a second guy shows up! He is older, and has seen enough of this to no longer be surprised. So, we talk about the situation in general. I mention not being able to get DSL until they out FiOS in.

The problem has always been a bad feeder trunk, back to the CO. Trying to get a working copper pair has been a real challenge. But, since enough schmucks got sucked into getting FiOS (probably because they got sick of having a bad copper pair, and a phone line that did not work!), they now think they had enough decent pairs, that they could now offer DSL.

Problem is..................when you tried to order it...................

"We no longer offer that service, in your area."

WHAT? They never could offer it. Yeah, they can, they just don't want to. FiOS was expensive to install, and the market penetration is so low............well, you get the idea. Try to force as many schmucks to FiOS as possible.

And then one day.............I talked to some nice young lady, who must not have gotten that memo that said "Don't sell DSL to anyone in this area. Make them get FiOS!" So, she signs me up, and now I have it.

If they could just stop breaking it!!

Gee..........no, GTE. Same morons, new name.

Oh........one last gripe:

If you go to their website, FiOS Internet-only, is only $45. Call them up...........still $45.

Go to the "phone mart".

"No, that costs $55. I don't know where you got that price from."

From the morons that you work for, that is who! You idiot..............

Do they really think we are as dumb as they are?

Don't answer that.
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Take him out and shoot him."
"Sir?"
"I said take him out and shoot him. Can't you hear?"

seagreen

• View Profile
Re: Do you hate "Tech Support" as much as I do?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 11:24:41 AM »
FiOS actually does work pretty reliably.

But, their day will come.  I know a lot of folks who turned off the CATV, aka expensive, side of the system and get all their TV through that interweb thingy now.  That can't be good for their cost model.
No double blind testing was used in the making of this post.

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 08:23:40 PM »
When I want to watch the telly, the last thing I want to do is watch it through a damn computer!

Google doesn't need to know how many times I watch South Park.

Of course, if it was "on demand" through the innernets, I may never get anything done.
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

seagreen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 03:38:56 AM »
People, like my kid, use Apple TV, a Wii box, a Roku box, or one of the others connected right to the TV.

Every episode of South Park is available on TV.  Even with just DSL.  Don't ask how I know...
No double blind testing was used in the making of this post.

MystereoN

• The Brave die once, a coward dies a thousand times
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 12:45:43 PM »
No need for stinking TV, there are more interesting stories around
Never argue with a fool,
they will drag you down to their level,
then beat you with their experience!!!

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 06:50:46 AM »
!

(Translation: temporarily speechless.)
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"