Author Topic: Girls basketball team loses, 100-0.  (Read 2358 times)

Gen. Dreedle

• Commander, Alabama wing, Confederate Air Farce
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Girls basketball team loses, 100-0.
« on: October 04, 2011, 05:49:29 PM »
Not going to say how I am related to one of the girls on the team that lost. From what I understand, the winning coach called the newspaper, to tout how good his team is. When it blew up in his face, namely, the losing team getting put of the front page......well, he has to eat crow now.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/012209dnsposhutout.40d72ee.html
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/012309dnmet100ptforfeit.1e54d45.html
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Take him out and shoot him."
"Sir?"
"I said take him out and shoot him. Can't you hear?"

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Girls basketball team loses, 100-0.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 05:50:07 PM »
Yeah, so I have heard. One of the local TV stations showed up, and only one girl had the chutzpah to talk to them. (She isn't a blood relative, is all I will say.)

I was on the losing end of one of these waxings back in HS. The other team had a 7 footer, who was allowed to goal tend, w/o consequence. We pulled our starters, only one of which was 6', after the first quarter. The JVs and all the other scrubs were put in. Didn't stop the spoiled rich brat school from running up the score. They weren't the least bit embarrassed to pummel a team that put 4' 10" and 4' 8" guards on the court at the same time. I won't say who the 4' 8" one was.

As for this game........they would steal the inbounds pass, and lay it in. They didn't even have the decency to let them cross the time line, lob one up, bang off the iron, and take if from there. After they got 100, they backed off.
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 05:51:17 PM »
This has turned into a windfall for the losing team. Mark Cuban is going to let them see a Mavericks game in his private suite, and take them down to meet the team. Now that the local TV stations are on the story, the network morning "doo-dah" shows are showing up. One is filming them now.

The coach asked the girls if they wanted to quit at halftime, and they all wanted to keep going. Turned out to be a good thing.

The other school is getting lots of bad publicity, and they are the ones who were seeking the attention.
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 05:51:53 PM »
I hope not. This thing is getting out of hand. The girls were at the gym from 2 PM to 8 PM being interviewed and filmed.

What many do not understand is that this is a small school that deals with kids who have learning deficiencies of one sort or another. There are only 20 girls in the school, 8 of which are brave enough to attempt playing basketball. To watch a team with a 6' 2" "Amazon" beat them senseless for no purpose has the parents upset. Especially seeing the other parents carry on like they were beating the USSR national team.

Those girls have not won a game in over 4 years, and it will probably be another 4 years before they do manage to win one. Despite being down 59 points at halftime, they would not let the coach quit the game. No, they went back out there, and did the best they could.
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 05:52:34 PM »
That Rivals.com story confirms everything that I was told. Not that I doubted my source.

Lookers.........? Well, one place has 20 girls, and the other one has lots of students, most from spoiled households with money to spend on a fancy prep school. You decide.
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 05:53:17 PM »
The local paper printed the full text of his letter. For all the excuses that he served up, he did not explain how they managed not to score, once they got to 100. With 4 minutes left in the game.

Nor how the story made it to the paper in the first place.

A writer for the newspaper noticed that there was a box score for a private schools league game. Those games never have a box score in the paper. (Lack of room, marginal interest, etc.) What was more puzzling was why only one team had a box score. (Because the other team had nowt!) So, keen reporter called the losing school, to get their side of the story. He realised he had the makings of a "feel good" story, when he heard that they wouldn't quit, despite being down 59-0 at halftime.

Now........can anyone guess how that box score was submitted to the newspaper in the first place?
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"