Author Topic: Phase 3 of...............  (Read 2035 times)

Gen. Dreedle

• Commander, Alabama wing, Confederate Air Farce
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Phase 3 of...............
« on: October 04, 2011, 04:29:11 PM »
Edit: I have no idea what Phase 1 & 2 were about. Eventually, I will figure it out, when I get to them. Deal with it!

"I'm sick of all this cheap crap made in China that has blown 'lytics."

Yep, gotta 'nother one. Another LCD computer monitor/TV lookity box that does not work. Turns off 10 seconds after it turns on, comes back on 15 seconds later, works for another 5 seconds, off for another 20...eventually stays on.

Until today. Had better things to do, but..........

Open it up, check the caps in the main switcher: all look ok.

So, open up the caged area next to it, and bingo! At least 4 caps that have bulging ends. Stuck some in that made in work. Will order enough Crapasonic FMs to change them all.

Western civilisation probably be safe for the foreseeable future, as China will probably never figure out what "quality" really is.

Too bad tons of folks will have to spend tons more money on crap that will continue to break.
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Take him out and shoot him."
"Sir?"
"I said take him out and shoot him. Can't you hear?"

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Phase 3 of...............
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 04:35:14 PM »
I have a pretty good spam filter. But one piece got through the other day. Some guy, with a Norwegian-sounding name, mailing to a bunch of other people with Norwegian-sounding names. Half have Hotmail accounts (just like the sender!), the other half have legit-sounding *.no addresses. How I got stuck in is beyond me. (The other recipients are probably fake.)

No need to check the website this guy was pimping to figure out that the guy is really Chinese.

Do they really think that we can't see through the comic attempt at English to figure out where it came from? Do they realise that we laugh our butts off reading their gibberish. Do they really care? Will they ever go away and leave us alone?

Of course not.

Stimpy: "Are you feeling any better now?"
Ren: "NO, I'M NOT FEELING ANY BETTER NOW!"

Well, maybe 0.0027%.
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 04:36:01 PM »
Because that is the one constant in their marketing spiel. They think that we care about quality, so they hammer on that.

Of course we don't care about quality. Would we buy their crap if we did? One million Mega-Lo marts can't be wrong.

"Prices so low it feels so good!"

I remember the day when I didn't have to buy the cheapest thing I could afford. Something that won't return in this lifetime.
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 04:38:08 PM »
Edit: this must have been a really good thread, because there was almost 3 pages, of replies, without me sticking my big nose in it!!

The main reason Wal-Mart is so dominant is the growing numbers of:

Unskilled, uneducated workers who come here to move up in life. Wal-Mart is big step-up for them.

Highly educated and skilled older workers who are no longer part of the job market (and won't be ever again!) are forced to shop at the cheapest place possible. More so since most of them lost their life savings/pensions in the latest economic fiasco. Wal-Mart is a major step down for them, but they have no option.

(One of my fellow poor old farts said that Wal-Mart did a survey of people who weren't Wal-Mart customers. The 2 things that they said they hated about it was Wal-Mart workers and Wal-Mart employees. Both are pretty much the same folk.)

Their dominance allows them greater buying power, which leads to even lower prices (Quality as well.) Other retailers lose market share, and therefore buying power. Their prices then go up.

Pretty soon, America will have 2 options: Wal-Mart or boutique stores.

The question then becomes will the boutique stores carry quality or not? Or just higher prices, under the guise of quality?

If it comes from China, we all know the answer. Contrary to what every amusing advert that comes out of there says.

I just wish they would drop the "QUALITY!" nonsense, and just admit what we all know:

"The crap you want because it is all the crap that you can afford!"
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 04:38:53 PM »
Just look at all the crappy clocks/XOs for sale at The Pub, or eBarf, or any other number of places. They all say the same thing:

"QUALITY!!!!!!!!!!!! X ppm accuracy!" (Insert any value for X.)

Anyone here who doesn't know that ppm accuracy is not what quality is all about when it comes to clocks for your CDP hasn't been paying attention.

I had one guy...........not going to say who, 'cuz he sometimes reads this, and will get miffed if I out him, but he tried to 'splain to me why ppm accuracy is the indication of quality. He used a Famous Clock Monger's Xo as an example.

He took its accuracy, in ppm, and converted that into log magnitude. That gave him the amount of phase noise.

Because the amount that the clock was off in frequency was the amount that could move around the carrier frequency.

Or something like that.

Yeah, with convoluted thinking like that, they never will get quality.
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 04:39:58 PM »
That is what usually happens in practice.

As for high-end grill, Hank Hill would be proud to know that.
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 04:42:02 PM »
Speaking of companies in your back yard that I have little use for........

Bull's Eye.

I mean, Target.

A certain person of the female persuasion that shall have to remain nameless (yes, hard to imagine.......female types getting within shouting distance of me......stranger things have happened), but anyway.......

Her favourite place in the whole wide world seems to be that dump. I have never been impressed with them, and never will. They opened the largest one in the USA a few months back, a mile or so from her house. She is in heaven.

So, one day, she insists that I go there with her (Yes, even harder to imagine.) Looks just like any other one, except the floors are still clean.

Anyway, the gist of all of this is that the other day she bought some naan bread from there.

Give........me.......a friggin' break.

Dozens of authentic Indian stores around (ok, all in my part of town), and she buys naan bread there.

"It's really yummy. you should try some."

Knowing better, but wanting to keep the peace, I broke off a small piece and intrepidly shoved it into my pie hole.

"Gaaaaaaaaah.......this sux. What is in this stuff, anyway? Lemme see the ingredients...........oh, crap, here is what is wrong: it has milk in it. And eggs!!!!!! Eggs, in friggin' naan bread, and milk. No 'effing way any of that goes in there. This is about as close to naan bread as Wonder Bread is. Boy, did they see you coming."
"You don't have to eat it if you don't like it."
"No problem there. Crap.......look at this.......it is made in Canada!!!!!!!!!! C'mon, they get a bunch of hosers to throw this crap together, and send it, frozen, I would assume, all the way to Texas. And people buy this??? I question the future of America if stores like Target can foist crap like this on an unsuspecting public."

(She still talks to me. Amazing, isn't it?)

Canadians........making naan bread to sell to Texans.....what is this country coming to?

"Our country reeks of trees.
Our yaks are really large
And smell like rotting beef carcasses.
And we have to clean up after them.
And our saddle sores are the best.
We proudly wear women's clothing,
And searing sands blow up our skirts.

And the buzzards,
They soar overhead.
And poisonous snakes will devour us whole.
Our bones will bleach in the sun.
And we will probably all go to hell,
And that is our great reward
For being the
Royal
Canadian
Kilted
Yaksmen!"
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 04:43:34 PM »
Well, it kinda sorta did happen to Walt Jung. Some perasite picked Walt's brain on how his regulator worked. Then made a copy of it to sell. Under Walt's "moniker", but his wallet.

When someone buys one and can't make it work, what do you think their opinion will be:

"The Jung super regulator sucks." Not "This crappy copy of the Jung regulator sucks."

If it was your reputation on the line, you would understand.

As for my stuff..........

I don't have schematics for anything. Sometimes makes things fun when I have to fix something 15 years after I made it. Ditto for Gerbers.

It is not because I am greedy, and want to monopolise my work. It is an outgrowth of my "real" job, where the Big Cheese thought that time spent on documentation was time that could be better spent on making the company more more by cranking out more work. We expected the life cycle of our entire network to be 3 years, before everything would be replaced in one form or another. They assumed that guys like me could make something that could last 3 years without breaking. Nothing that we built on our own was at the technical level of stuff from...........say........Collins Radio.

(Which was not as reliable as their military radio gear. Documentation essential!)

Just call it a bad habit that fits my style.
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"