Author Topic: "DIY without people like you would be pointless!"  (Read 2337 times)

Gen. Dreedle

• Commander, Alabama wing, Confederate Air Farce
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
"DIY without people like you would be pointless!"
« on: October 04, 2011, 04:12:59 PM »
Such is the comment of a satisfied forum member, commenting on another forum member's contribution.

Which prompted me to respond with this:

http://www.diyhifi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=35965#p35965

But when you think of it, most of it is pointless. As I said, just look at The Pub if you don't believe me.

Since this is "my" area (ha, ha, ha!), and anyone entering it has to be aware that it is a minefield, thought that I would share some observations on stuff.

OK............good ahead and groan now. Get it out of your system. Resolve yourself to another one of my convoluted humourous (in theory) diatribes. And no, this is not me freaking out after the US elections. (That is yet to come. Stay tuned.)

So, rather than poop on the general forum area, here goes my take on what goes on in the world. And why I think that it is all pointless.

This is what goes on in the world of DIY.

The resident cartoon poster takes a break from posting his collection of most every amp ever produced to posting his collection of every current mirror ever designed. Complete with mistakes. But not his fault, he just posted it. One "expert" telling another that they are all the same. Yet another "expert" saying he knows which one sounds better, yet seems to have no clue why. Someone who admits to only being an amateur (wow......honesty!) helps to muddy things up some more. A guy who has been banned at least 2, and probably 3 times, posts utter nonsense, while being toasted as really helping things along. Another amateur is in awe of how much the art has been advanced in all of this.

Meanwhile, a guy who seems to moonlight as a science fiction writer gets dragged into the mud about some article that he wrote for some on-line magazine. He can't answer simple questions, like how much gain does it have. Probably because he never built it. Seems he is much to busy to do that. Not too busy to post rambling gibberish, as though he is paid by the word, full of technical errors. But not his fault! He is too busy.

Anyway, (apparently) he eventually came up with the gain. Well, sort of. My guess is that someone else calculated it. I have my doubts that he could do it on his own, even if he built it. But all of this was fueled by the emergence of a new character in the mix. Who, it turns out, is an old character in the mix. Who has been banned..........I dunno......several dozen times. Despite his acerbic nature, he manages to inject some genuine insights into the foray. Which leads a frustrated member to post this:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1661593#post1661593

How can that be? Someone that horrible actually being more useful than the rest of the crowd? Gee.

Still, it takes the usual suspects a few days to rummage out the new sock puppet, and descend upon him yelling "Piggy, Piggy, Piggy!", like a group of possessed youths intent on finishing off the weakling. And they pound themselves on their chests, bragging on they made the world safe for humanity again. While berating all of you humble readers as being the "little home away from home that the rejects built". Has to be "that things must be really, really dull" here for someone who is no longer a member here to go over to Mt. Olympus and stir up the mud.

So, just to clear the record:

No one here had any role in that. Period. You can make all the judgments that you care to, but as usual, they are about as accurate as a lot of your ramblings.

Meanwhile, a guy who seems to be fairly well educated and successful in some technical realm, takes a dirty old turd of a circuit, and polishes it up as a shiny new turd. Mind you, this person spends most of his time berating a member of industry as some useless old fool that no one gives a rat's rear end about, that has not learned a single new thing since the 60s. But he has a "great" new circuit to show off. Mind you, his way of responding to criticism that he still needs a "great" circuit is to post a bunch of measurements.

Hmmm..........his measurements affirm his belief system, but anyone else..........well, no matter what they believe, their belief system is codswallop. Measurements or experience be damned! He knows all, certainly more than us mortals, and should be treated as such.

Then you have another guru, who seems to have made a career out of "proving" that useless old fool wrong (or so he believes) once in an article that some revere as The Holy Grail. Mind you, as far as I can tell, he has never made a commercial amp. But he will take your money to measure stuff that he doesn't believe in. How can that be? He doesn't believe those things exist, but he will measure them for you. (If they don't exist, then the test is null. But it is your money, and he is willing to take it.)

OK........I know...........at this point you are all saying that this is my jaundiced opinion. Not so. I have correspondence from many forum members. Not just here, but The Pub and others. One correspondent, a working EE, said that the above mentioned individual could have contributed a great deal, but instead has merely become a "severe disappointment". But not his fault! It is the forum's fault. It is just the nature of the place!

Right? Has to be. They remove people like Carlos, who contributed a great deal. His sin? I dunno, but probably he squawked one time too many when one of their resident fair-haired boy wonders somehow absconds Carlos' postings and claims them as his "research".

HUH????? Reading an Internet forum qualifies as "research"? Good grief. But that is what you can expect from someone who can't even copy an app note properly. He leaves off parts that he claims makes it sound better. Yet, when it blows up, he goes mum. But since he is a "designer", he is free to ignore what he pleases. And take credit when it works: feign disinterest when it doesn't.

Yep, that is what passes for a "designer" in the world of DIY. Almost as bad as the resident troll, who spends his time "just collecting the facts". He collects enough facts, and in one notable case, from the actual designer. At which point, he makes his own PCB, with information taken directly from the designer. To rub salt in the wound, he sticks the original designer's name on the PCB. To give credit, he says. No, to give it credibility. It would not sell else wise. He has no clue (so he pretends) that when it doesn't work, no one will associate his name with it. No, they will associate the original designer's name! Now how about that.........some guy uses your ideas, your name, and turns out something that you have no control over. Yeah, great way to pay respect.

(I know 98% of you have heard a lot of this. I threw it in for the 2% who haven't. Hope I won't have to dredge it up for a few years to come.)

Now, as absurd as all of this sounds, this is just one forum!!! And while it is the biggest, it isn't the worst! For all of its flaws, it is nowhere as useless and pointless as places like Audio Asylum and Head-Fi. What passes for DIY at those places...........well, it is all amateur hour. And pretty amateur at that.

So...........while I could go on for another hour, I will temporarily rest my case. The world of DIY: pointless.

Save poor sods like Carlos. He may not be a professional, he may not make earthshaking state-of-the-art postings, but he is a true DIYer.

So, thanks to him, and all the folks like him who give me just a faint glimmer of hope to keep hanging around here. It is hard 99.9% of the time. Although, I have to admit................moderating this place is a lot easier after we got rid of one of my friends.

Ah.....but isn't that what friends are for?

"No! They are for stabbing them in the back. In public, you rat! Are we eating pho any time soon?"

Uh, probably not. Maybe next week if I have someone to watch Mum.
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Take him out and shoot him."
"Sir?"
"I said take him out and shoot him. Can't you hear?"

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: "DIY without people like you would be pointless!"
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 04:13:34 PM »
Carlos, the only way for me to totally ignore what goes on there would entail disconnecting my phone, and changing my e-mail address. It washes upon the shore of my inbox like debris on the New Jersey coast. I hear about it.......all of it.......usually on a daily basis. Even fellow EEs who write to discuss items of mutual interest find ways to throw in "Did you see where some putz over on.............". Sorry, I can not avoid it. After a while, it corrodes your brain.

Just ask gmarsh!
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 04:14:59 PM »
Ah, Pedja...........

You have missed the point. I am not referring to the resident trouble maker and puppet master, except in passing at the end, as I know he reads this.

No, I am referring to a number of other individuals, most unknown to you or 99% of the people here. They clamor for my return there, as "you could really contribute something valuable". They point out that if I would only just swallow my pride, then I could be back in their good graces. They use the reinstatement of other ne'er-do-wells as proof that redemption could be had.

They miss the point that I don't want to be back there! Why in the world would anyone want to deal with that crap again? Aside from all the shady dealings, the DIY world is pointless. At least in my esteem.

I continue here as there are some decent folk who really want to learn, and others who are willing to share in a cooperative manner.

No, the point was not so much to complain about them, but to explain why I think it is pointless. Hopefully, some members of my fan club will read this, and I won't have to repeat it several dozen times in e-mail. I do get tired of that as well.

Over and out..........for now.
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 04:15:53 PM »
You are not missing the point. They are! Hard as it is to believe, I do get regular pleadings for me to return there. Their rationale is that I could help raise the SNR. No, because:

1.) I don't want to.
2.)I usually end up lowering it, because my patience is very limited.
3.) They don't want me there, and since the feeling is mutual, the whole idea is moot.

Look, they are all well-intentioned folks. Usually colleagues of sorts in a technical manner. While they almost never contribute anything, they don't understand why someone who at one time was willing to do so has become so jaded.
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 04:16:54 PM »
Howcum I don't have someone like gmarsh living down the road from me, to go eat pho with, instead of someone who is even more of a malcontent than I am?

Probably because I would turn him into a copy of me, that is why!

Who said that life is fair?
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 04:18:24 PM »
I think that I would rather deal with that, instead of the same "Do you think that this will work?" question about all 6 gates in a hex inverter operating in parallel for a SPDIF driver. I am sick to death of seeing that........

If I had to deal with idiot RF questions, they could always say:

"I don't know shit about RF because I went to the same damn friggin' university that you did, bub!"

That, I could deal with. 'Cuz it would be true. Sad, but still true.

Just don't ask me to design a matching network. Last time I did that was back in '84. Had to take a 400 MHz power amp, with crude TRW transistors from '68, and make it work with "modern" Motorola devices.

Without a network analyser! Just a copy of the Smith Chart from the Motorola data sheet. And a file, a nibbling tool, and several days trying to maximise output without too many birdies. Thankfully, I had a decent spectrum analyser.
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 04:19:12 PM »
Does this kind of life look interesting to you?

It is much warmer than where you are, pho and noodle houses on every corner (sometimes more) and no state income tax.

As Monty Hall sez: "Come on down!"

And Rudy wants to buy yez a drink.
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"

Gen. Dreedle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
This may not be the best thread to post this in, but tough.

http://jockohomorants.blogspot.com/2010/01/thanks.html

Actually, the way that I feel now, DIY is pointless.

Thanks.
"Major Danby, sir."
"Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."
"Sir?"